With sunny days quickly approaching, it’s the perfect time to start planning how you are going to spend those days this year. From music festivals to pride events, this summer is jam-packed with things to do in Manchester, and we want to make sure you don’t miss out on any of the fun and amazing things going on! This blog includes all the best events you need to know about, and they are all student-friendly; so, let’s jump straight into it!
Manchester Pride Festival
Feel the love in the air at this year’s Manchester Pride Festival. Running over the August Bank Holiday weekend, celebrations are set to start on the 25th and end on the 28th. Not only will you enjoy uplifting the LGBTQ+ community, but you will also be supporting the Manchester Pride charity which is one of the largest LGBTQ+ charities in the UK. It aims to tackle all discrimination and hate crimes the community receives and hopes to empower those who are a part of it. Here’s some key information:
- Tickets start from £22, and you can get single-day tickets or a weekend ticket. Click the link here to buy yours
- Every ticket that is sold will donate £2.50 to charity in support of LGBTQ+ causes and projects in Greater Manchester
- The Parade and Candlelit Vigil are free and accessible to all
- The festival is held all around the city with the Gay Village Party being held at Gay Village which is centred on Canal Street
- Many brilliant people and acts are set to appear
- Expect events from Family Pride MCR, Superbia Weekend, Youth Pride MCR and more!
So, what are you waiting for, a party and a protest? Learn more about this event by following the link here.
Sounds of the city
Set to be held at Castlefield Bowl, you don’t want to miss out on the amazing artists performing in Manchester during the week of 29th June – 8th July! The event has been running since 2016 and never has it failed to impress. Bringing sounds of rock and pop to the city, this is something you don’t want to miss. The line-up consists of:
- Porcupine Tree
- Hacienda Classical
And many more! To find out the dates on which these artists are performing, click here. You can also buy tickets ranging from £30-£65 by following the link here. Enjoy some good music with friends or family at this event!
80s Silent Disco
Who doesn’t love a good silent disco, especially if you’re an 80s music fan? Get ready for an evening full of some of the best music from the 80s including artists such as Michael Jackson, Queen, Madonna and many more icons! Get your groove on for ticket prices as low as £26; buy them here. Here’s some key information about this event:
- The date is Friday 18th August 2023
- It’s held at Manchester Cathedral
- It runs from 19:30 to 23:00
Some amazing scenes are ready for you to embrace at this event, so bring your friends, partner, family or even go by yourself!
Manchester International Festival
Do you enjoy embracing new art? Then this festival may be for you! This biennial festival is visiting Manchester from 29 June – 16 July and you don’t want to miss out on some of the incredible work that is going to be on display. Each day allows a variety of artists to tell a different story, meaning you can have a scroll through the webpage and choose what stands out to you the most! Some things you may want to know:
- There will be a mix of international artists
- The venue where events are being held at is Aviva studios
- Travel to the closest station which is Salford Central
- The building is free to visit but many events have individual ticket prices. Find out more here. See what events you may want to see by following the link here.
- There will be support for those who need extra accessibility
- There are plenty of places to grab a bite and shops around the building to choose from. Find out more here for food and click here for shop information.
You don’t want to miss out on the 18 extraordinary days that are on route. So, do not waste any more time in planning your days out!
And these are just a few suggestions so that you can see more of what is going on in Manchester!
We hope this blog has given you some ideas to add to your list of summer fun. Check out our Manchester Buzz website to find out more about this interesting, vibrant and wonderful city!